Location, Size and Design
The garden is located in Arlington, Massachusetts, near the southern corner of Robbins Farm Park, on the gentle slope below the children’s playground. The garden is 30′ x 68′ and is most easily accessed from Eastern Avenue.
The garden design provides for everything to be within easy reach for planting, weeding and harvesting. It also allows easy viewing of the entire garden from outside the fence. It is meant to be welcoming for visitors, allowing comfortable access for many people at once, and to be aesthetically attractive, with clear signage to identify the crops.
Robbins Farm Garden is a resource for teaching both children and adults about growing your own food and working together as a community through:
- Weekly access during regular gardening hours, answering questions, etc..
- Ongoing online journal, chronicling our progress and activities at the garden.
- Coordination with seasonal activities at Robbins Farm Park, such as Field Day, Clean-up days, concerts and movie nights.
- Cooperation with Arlington’s many related activties and groups, such as Town Day, the annual EcoFest, the Arlington Historical Society, the Brackett School Green Initiative Group, the Arlington Garden Club and the Menotomy Gardeners email list.
- Bibliography of Garden Books for Kids.